Monday, July 8, 2013

IPSC Equipment: Shoes

Perusing my older equipment articles, reveals that I haven't discussed shoes. Is this even important? Well, it depends. If you've invested a substantial amount in your equipment, in the continual search for improvement, why would you overlook your traction? I found that normal track shoes, or runners, weren't effective on wet grass or loose gravel, so I decided to explore what my options were.
 
Shoes aren't really marketed to the IPSC community. I found a single type, cleats, that were sold on an IPSC website, and observed what some of the local shooters wore, and bought my first pair.

Nike Land Sharks
 
 
Fairly common amongst IPSC competitors.
 
These are affordable, at anywhere between US$40 - 70. My first pair, black and white, lasted me two seasons, and certainly provided me with far more grip than I had experienced before. There are shortcomings, though. They are useless on hard, smooth surfaces. So if you are shooting indoors, or a stage has an obstacle, like a smooth ramp or stairs, then your traction is seriously compromised. Nevertheless, I liked them and eventually colour co-ordinated mine, to match my every growing red gear. However they are not comfortable for all-day wear, as they have a very rigid structure. So I found myself wearing running shoes, during my working stints, until I lost my footing severely, whilst RO'ing a competitor.
 
 
That being said, they remain part of my equipment, with me using them for muddy surfaces, so as to not ruin my more expensive shoes, or where solid traction is a must. They're also easier to clean.
 
Because of the nature of our climate, I find we tend to shoot a lot indoors, and cleats weren't a good option. Neither were traditional running shoes, which didn't handle standing on spent brass too well. This resulted in me looking for shoes that could be used for indoors; in other words, had a soft sole to handle smooth surfaces, but which were also aggressive enough to provide traction where spent brass was in abundance.
 
Salomon Speedcross III
 
Increasingly common amongst IPSC competitors, particularly at the larger matches. Receives good reviews on IPSC blogs.
These shoes are really nice, albeit a bit more expensive at US$120 - 150. They are also very narrow, giving you a tight fit. I like the lacing system. It's easier and more convenient than traditional laces. They seem well constructed and offer very good traction on smooth hard surfaces. I haven't used mine outdoors all that much, but because of the softer sole, you can expect these shoes to wear out faster. They are also comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of time. The sole padding seems reasonable, and standing on brass isn't uncomfortable. They're really nice, and are available in all sorts of colours.

 
Inov8 Mudcaws
 
Not as common, but well reviewed on IPSC blogs. 
I've always known about these shoes, and have seen a growing number of people use them. When I saw them in my colour I couldn't resist. They look aggressive, and comfortable. They are also relatively expensive at between US$120 - 150. They are very light, which was surprising. Also, the construction is very thin, which gives you the impression that they are cheap. The lacing system is traditional, and the padding in the sole is barely existent, to the point that you can feel every pebble that you stand on. The traction is good, although I have slipped a few times on loose surfaces. I'm still new to these shoes, and have been somewhat disappointed, but that may change. They are comfortable for long wear, but I would have liked more sidewall support, and a more padded sole.
 
At the moment, I would say the Salomon's would be my top pick, and if you are more budget conscious, the Nike Land Sharks. These shoes are freely available online. I usually buy from Zappos USA.

3 comments:

  1. While I have been wearing "softball cleats" to marked success, I now find that they have limited versatility .... especially after just about wiping out (recently) on plywood platforms and stairs that have become wet in the rain ..... I think my next venture will be for the Mudclaws or the Speedcross ... the soles look as if they will provide more traction in a variety of conditions and surfaces ... not just mud, gravel and grass (where the softball cleats have functioned well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the 32 Special, you may have noted that I swopped from using cleats, to using my Mudclaws, all because of the staircase and the shooting house. The traction offered, on both surfaces, was confidence inspiring. My kit now includes both types of shoes.

      Delete
  2. I can now say with certainty (after a "spectacular" wipeout at Cdn Nationals) that one must choose footwear very carefully.

    I've been wearing softball cleats to date. They work extremely well on natural surfaces and in all weather conditions: grass, dirt, sand, gravel, mud ...... you name it, rain and/or shine. I have no issues wearing cleats on outdoor surfaces.

    However, the cleats do NOT work well on man-made surfaces such as wooden platforms or any "smooth" surface. So, if the stage presents any man-made surfaces such as stairs, a wooden platform or wood floors, then I would highly recommend NOT wearing the softball cleats, or changing your shoes altogether. My 180 degree turn, on a smooth, dry wood floor resulted in a spectacular, wholesale and complete wipeout while wearing cleats. Solid gun control was the only thing that kept me in the match in that split second.

    So, that being said, I am off to buy some more "appropriate shoes" for when a match presents me with any surfaces that are not "natural".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...