Sunday, February 27, 2011

Equipment: Begin With The End In Mind


Equipment, sigh. This is probably the most important decision, and the one that you most often get wrong. Despite all the good intentions, simply telling new contestants to IPSC that they need a holster, some magazine pouches and a handgun that they are comfortable with, isn't really that helpful. At least it wasn't for me, and by chatting with other contestants it is plain to see that we all started out "wrong".

I had somewhat of an idea, given that I had been exposed to Practical Pistol shooting before, but my thinking was limited to the state the sport was in 20 years ago. So I thought, big deal, get a functional holster and a few magazine pouches, as well as eye protection and ear-muffs. Not that much of an investment. Well it turns out I was wrong, naturally, and I needed a lot more.

Not only did I need a holster, but I needed mag pouches, a lot of them. I also needed a sturdy belt, ear-muffs and eye protection. Then there are the other items you don't think about; a range bag, extra magazines, ammunition boxes, cleaning kits, clothing and an ammunition budget (a big one).

The next few articles will examine each piece of equipment, and how I progressed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...